In response to increased demand from the government shutdown, the Foodbank will be holding special food distributions for employees of the Coast Guard, Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), and Travel Security Administration (TSA).
The distributions will be held Mondays 9am-11am and Thursdays 4pm-6pm starting January 24th and continuing through February 28th at 800 Tidewater Drive in Norfolk. Coast Guard ID and TSA/FAA ID required.
The Eastern Shore Branch is partnering with Jerusalem Baptist Church in Temperanceville to provide food and non-food necessities to federal employees on Friday, January 25th.
For other government employees in need of assistance, there are a variety of resources available:
- A map of food pantries and their distribution dates and times can be found on our website directory.
- The Foodbank’s normal Friday distribution at 800 Tidewater Drive will continue to take place from 9am-11am.
- Families with school-age children can apply for free/reduced meal programs at schools.
- Individuals can also apply for SNAP (formerly known as food stamps) benefits.
Our regular client services will continue uninterrupted.
Interested in helping those affected by the shutdown?
We need volunteers to assist with the additional distributions. Please visit the volunteer page for more information on registering.
For those that would like to donate supplies, our most needed items include:
- Baby food
- Baby wipes
- Baby cereal
- Toilet paper
- Washing powder
- Canned Tuna, Chicken, Turkey
- Peanut butter
- Pasta and Rice
Items can be dropped off at 800 Tidewater Drive from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. If you would like to organize a food and fund drive, please click here for more details.
Monetary donations can also be made online to help purchase most needed items.