September is Hunger Action Month – a month where people all over America stand together with Feeding America and the nationwide network of food banks to fight hunger. It’s a month to spread the word and take action on the hunger crisis, and dedicate ourselves to a solution. We challenge you to learn more about the issue of food-insecurity in our community and take action and spread awareness to help eliminate hunger.
20 Actions in 20 Days
Thanks to a partnership between American Airlines and Feeding America, the Foodbank of Southeastern Virginia and the Eastern Shore received a generous donation of 30,000 miles from American Airlines in recognition of Hunger Action Month. These miles equate to one or two round trip tickets within the continental United States, depending on your travel flexibility. Our Foodbank is going to give all 30,000 miles to one individual committed to taking action this September during Hunger Action Month. Every action counts, and together, we can end hunger one action at a time. To be eligible to receive the miles, an individual must earn 20 points in 20 days. Individuals who earn 20 points by September 30 and track their actions will be entered in a raffle drawing in which one winner will receive 30,000 American Airlines miles! Here is how you can take action and be entered to win the miles:
- 10 points for making a financial donation to the Foodbank of Southeastern Virginia (monetary donations will only be counted once during the competition). Click here to immediately earn 10 points!
- 10 points for launching and completing a food and fund drive during Hunger Action Month. Click here to get started!
- 3 points for wearing orange on September 12, Hunger Action Day, and posting a photo on social media, tagging our Foodbank (@FoodbankSEVA) along with #HungerActionMonth.
- 1 point for each time you share the Foodbank of Southeastern Virginia and the Eastern Shore’s (@FoodbankSEVA) posts via social media.
The Fine Print
- The raffle drawing will take place during the first week of October. To be eligible for the drawing, you must complete the form here and email it to email@example.com no later than October 1 by 4:30 p.m.
- 30,000 miles equates to 1 or 2 roundtrip tickets within the U.S. (based on travel distance and flexibility of travel times).
- Members of the general public as well as Foodbank staff and volunteers will be eligible to enter the raffle for a chance to win the miles.
Map the Meal Gap
30 Ways in 30 Days
The 30 Ways in 30 Days calendar has something you can do every day of the month to take action and help fight hunger. Here are some highlights:
5 Host a Food Drive at your school, work or faith community.
6 Sign up for a volunteer day with family, friends, or coworkers.
10 Take a selfie with an empty plate, share it on your social media pages, and tag us.
12 Wear orange today to show your support for Hunger Action Day!
25 Take the SNAP Challenge. See if you an meet your nutritional needs on just $5 a day.
26 Schedule a visit and join us for a behind-the-scenes tour of the Foodbank.
Elected Officials’ Engagement Day
September 20, 2019
Our vision for a hunger-free community has compelled us to balance our efforts in “feeding the line”, while giving specific attention to strategies designed to “end the line.” Therefore, we are focusing on advocacy and education in a nonpartisan fashion. We will be hosting legislators, corporate partners, and community members to promote the bipartisan issue of food insecurity.
For every $10 we receive, we can distribute up to $60 worth of grocery products! Click here to donate now and provide meals for a neighbor.